September 28, 2010

Unconditional

Today is my birthday.  It's been a very good day but I am exhausted so I will turn today's blog post over to one of my oldests friends, Secret Agent Mama

love

I should probably preface this with the fact that many people will be all "Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot" when and if they see this post, on this blog, for you, from me. But, I don't give a damn. I don't think you do either.


We have both had plenty of stabs at each others' backs over the years. We have both made mistakes in our long, winding road of friendship, complete with obstacles, potholes, rest-stops, and accidents along the way. We have both said and/or done things that we wish we could take back and do-over (oh, do we ever.)

That's the way life goes.


There is no relationship that's just smooth sailing and worry free.


That much? I know.

It's when you realize the mistakes and correct them. It's when you find and allow forgiveness that you can grow. It's when you realize that you aren't always right and can admit it no matter how hard or ugly it is to do so. It's when you allow yourself to be yourself that you can really shine---in your own right. That's friendship. That's sisterhood. That's unconditional love.

++++

I'm sitting at your parent's dining room table. There are ten (maybe nine, or maybe twelve, who knows?) candles on your cake. I'm wearing this plaid, high neck, button up shirt with a corduroy vest and matching skirt. My hair is kind of *short, and I think maybe yours was, too. That was probably the style that year.

You're surrounded by friends. And, I was one of them.

In unison we sing, "Happy Birthday, Dear Jodi. Happy Birthday to yoooooooooooooooou!"

Surround yourself with your friends. Surround yourself with a sisterhood, a true sisterhood. Surround yourself with people who will love you unconditionally. And, I will be one of them.

*We have always chased each other with hairstyles. I've pretty much decided that I won't cut mine, though. However, this can change next week. Especially if you cut yours! (And vice-versa, eh?)

**Post and Photo by S.A.M.

No comments: