September 22, 2010

At My Core

This morning I couldn't peel myself off the sofa.  I sat around knowing full well that I had a long list of things to do before we welcome an old friend and his girlfriend for dinner.  I knew I had to get up and get the meatballs cooking and the cake in the oven, yet I sat...and sat.  I couldn't put the computer down.  I was finding inspiration with every new click. 

I have recently found a new blogger to add to my blog roll.  Nici blogs at dig this chick and she is lovely.  She takes beautiful photographs and her words dance while telling her story.  Today, in her Hump Day Nuggets post, Nici said this:

"We are born without judgement and with trust. We learn to assess situations and form opinions and while those are essential skills, I think we eventually (especially in our thirties when we learn we know nothing and mortality is real) try like hell to revert and practice that child-like wonder and appreciation for a hug, a cool bug, a perfectly prepared bowl of oatmeal, a favorite song on the radio."

And her words smacked me right between the eyes!  I have been feeling this exact statement for sometime now and finally seeing it through someone else's eyes (or words) reaffirmed in me that I'm not alone in my beliefs.  I have been surrounded by negative, rudeness and judgment for so long that I almost got lost in it.  It almost swallowed me whole.  But at my core I know who I am, how I want to live and what I want to pass along to my son.  I want him to laugh and be happy for others without prejudices.  I want him to know how beautiful life is and how lucky we are to live it.  I want him to know that he can make anything happen, because he can.  We all can.

I also know that I don't live in a fairy tale world and that from time to time people will pass their judgment and negative onto others, trying to stomp out any last bit of happiness one has left but I will do my best to protect myself and those that I hold dear from that ugly monster. 

It is in those times that I find it easiest to appreciate a hug, a cool bug, a perfectly prepared bowl of oatmeal, a favorite song on the radio.

No comments: